16 September 2011

What my summer garden produce looked like

Here it is
Yes, this is pretty much all I received this year. Sad, I know, tearful, I know.  We had such  a crazy hot, humid, no rain summer this year.  We put together a new garden  with several different bed areas in it.  Lots of fresh dirt, and I pulled any speck of weed that I found, and kept it watered too. So sad.  I planted so many different veggies.  That squash which is a Galeux d'Eysines, should have weighed 10-15 pounds, and as you can see it was probably a little bigger than a baseball.  It was the only one that survived, and I wish I could say it tasted lovely, however, it was bad on the inside.  All the varieties of squash that I planted got tons of blooms yet each one got this strange fungus on it, and then the bloom dropped off. Beans grow great here, no beans.  It's enough to make a person cry although the weird thing is you could go down the road a ways where someone had a great garden.  Go down another mile or so you would find a garden like mine. Squash and beans always do great here, but definitely not this year.
This has  been one of those summers.  We had planned a vacation up north to visit family in Connecticut, but Hurricane Irene took care of that vacation. Fortunately the flooding did not reach their house only their street. The heat here in Georgia was not the greatest although I should be thankful that it was not like Texas.  We are finally getting some cool weather so I believe it is giving me extra energy to do things again.
So, now that I am feeling better with things I'll be getting back to reading every one's blogs, and posting more than I have this whole summer.  Plus I'll show you a few things that I have been doing around the house.  I have taken my office apart, painted, re-organized, gotten rid of clutter, etc..  I am also starting a fall garden, let's hope it does better than the summer one!  Now let me get this one posted, cook some supper, and then get busy blog reading........I have a lot of catching up to do!  If you see 20+comments you know I've been by!

6 comments:

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I am sorry your garden was not good this year....The heat was rough on gardens. Mine did really great, but we have a drip irragation system on a timer so that helped.

Looking forward to seeing more of your posts...
Hugs,
Penny

Anke said...

Ulrike, I'm so sorry your garden was such a disappointment to you. Our garden did a little better than yours, but over all it was an awful gardening year. First too much rain, then bugs, then no rain... I've gotten a few seeds in the ground for fall gardening and I hope to at least get some lettuce and spinach out of it. Good luck with your fall garden! I'm glad your're back! :-)

Anonymous said...

It has been a most unusal summer for so many! I'm sorry your garden did not do well this year. We received tons of rain (much needed, as we have been in a drought for years). It makes me wonder what kind of winter we will have.
Take care, and I hope you have a lovely weekend, Ulrike!
Hugs,
Zuzu

Rhonda Gales said...

Sorry your garden didn't produce this year. Many gardens failed either because of a lack of rain or too much and gardeners being unable to plant timely. Hopefully next year will be better.

Deb G said...

I grew the same type of squash, it and a sugar pumpkin are the only ones that made it. I'll have one of each. I had a lot of problems with slugs this year and not much heat... Good year for berries though. Next year... :)

Comfrey Cottages said...

Peoples gardens did poorly across the land hon. So sorry yours was so rotten. Such a lot of time down the drain! Been thinking of you xoxoxox

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...