14 August 2011

A trip to St. Augustine

When the girlfriends and I took a short trip to Daytona Beach, Florida back in June we also took a little side trip to St. Augustine, Florida.  It is about 40+ or so miles north of Daytona, so when we were rained out I suggested a quick trip there since it looked like they were not going to get any rain.  Wrong.  Well, we made the most of it even though we did not get to see as much as we wanted.
A little background history on St. Augustine, Florida first thanks to the Wikipedia. It was founded in 1565 by a Spanish explorer and Admiral, and it is the oldest continuously occupied European city and port in the continental US.
So, amidst the thunder and lots of lightening, here are the photos, and since I was dodging lightening so to speak I can't really tell you what all of these places are unless there is a sign in the picture.  We plan on making a trip back down there sometime as it is a really cool place to visit with all of the old history associated with it.



I believe this is some sort of school



This is the area where you can walk along the shops in the old town section.  Lots of interesting things here.
As we were walking through the old town we could hear the old style blue/jazz music and singing.  This restaurant/bar had the music piped outside so you could listen to him sing and play. According to the pizza guy next door the restaurant owner happened upon Charlie Brown playing and singing underneath the big Lions Bridge.  The rest is history.  He gave Charlie Brown a job playing in his bar, and let me tell you, that man can sing! We could have stayed there for most of the evening!






I love this red fountain!


One of my favorite photos

So, if you ever make it to Florida, and would like to see one of our oldest cities, I would highly recommend St. Augustine.  Oh, and one of the best places to eat? Saltwater Cowboy!  Down a little road on the edge of a marsh.

7 comments:

Madelief said...

Hi Ulrike,

Your back! So glad to read a post of you again. I see I missed your last one. Your and your daughter look great on the photo! You look very much alike, but you have probably heard that before :-)! Your bee sting looks horrible. Your lucky it didn't get any worse!!! I enjoyed scrolling through your holiday photo's. What a beautiful place.

Have a lovely day!

Madelief x

Rosine said...

You take it fine!
♥♥♥

Merisi said...

Thank you for these beautiful images of a city I like very much! I have such fond memories of our days there (we once even spent a longer holiday at the beach south of St. Augustine).

Have you ever visited Somepinkflowers' blog? She writes out of St. Augustine, here is the link:
Some Pink Flowers. Enjoy! :-)

Mary said...

Back from California and catching up with all your news dear - glad you were able to get away with your girlfriends, St.Augustine is always an interesting place to visit - though I've not been in years!

Sorry you got "Angelina lips" in such a painful way. Those bees need to stick to making your delicious honey! Craig learned a lesson, wow that could have been much worse for him - others need to be aware of this danger.

Love the pic of you and Lori - pretty gals - and your new ocean banner is gorgeous, though it doesn't look calm like this today!

Sitting out the hurricane today as the rain tipples down and the winds blow. The poor folks at the coast have it bad - we are fortunate with little damage this far inland.

Bob sends his best - much love,
Mary

La Vie Quotidienne said...

My this brings back memories, I remember visiting St Augustine years ago when we spent a summer in Florida. I thought is was wonderful, so interesting. Thanks for reminding me of a great place.

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note.... I am having a Halloween Giveaway... Come on over!!
Marilyn

Karen Maggie said...

My parents chose St. Augustine for their honeymoon over 60 years ago because of it's historic beauty. Now I see why. Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...