19 March 2011

Bananas and Spring

I know that you are wondering what do bananas and spring have in common. Well, not much unless you get into a batch of poison ivy/oak or whatever it was!
 
I have had two relatives tell me to use the inside of the banana peel to wipe on that area, or as usual in my case, a lot of areas! We had spring outside cleaning at my grandmothers house who lives in the mountains of North Carolina last weekend, and the main project was to cut down this old maple tree next to the house which was starting to rot.
 
Hubby, my dad, and my uncle are standing there, as men usually do, looking at it trying to figure out the best way to lay it down. All the men had the chainsaws, and the women and few children got to carry away the brush, the small limbs, to the burning pile. There is enough firewood in that old maple for about three households! I sure hated to see it go as that is part of my childhood, but I did bring a few pieces home to play with. I have a couple of ideas.
Along with keeping busy with that over the weekend, cleaning outside here too, we also had to put in a new well pump. It seems like everything is breaking lately, and it doesn't care whether there is money or not! The old saying that it goes out faster than it comes in has been true around here lately.
I better get busy now. Several people are coming by today, we had another hive die, and one that looks like it might swarm. Spring is early around these parts, actually it feels more like summer since the temps have been 80 plus which would be 26-28C for you folks across the pond.
Hope all of you have a good weekend! Stay out of the poison ivy, and I'll let you know how the banana peels work!

5 comments:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I need a banana TREE! When I get poison ivy, I always end up at the doctor for a shot and a medrol dose pack, but if a banana could help....well....I'm willing to give it a try!
I hate to see trees cut too, even if there is a good reason. So sad; all those years of growth. I hope you come up with something creative with what you brought home.

XXOO~~♥
Anne

Anonymous said...

Oooo, I hope the bananas work!

It will be a long, LONG time before we get 80 degree temps around here. Enjoy it for me, OK Ulrike? :)

Hugs & Happy Spring,
Zuzu

Southern Lady said...

I've never heard of that before. Let us know if it works! Carla

The Painted Garden said...

Hi Ulrike,
Just popping in to wish you Happy Spring. Thank you for the information on the banana - I would never in a million years known that.
Happy Days.
Blessings,
Erin

Curbstone Homestead said...

Thanks for following! Looks like we have alot in common! Hope to read more from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...